Congratulations to these high school graduates who spent many years in the afterschool program AND were past participants in Workforce Lab. They are receiving a savings match for their next steps.
- Caleb: “I’ll be attending Southeastern University’s School of Honors in the fall to play football and study sports management with a minor in kinesiology.”
- Jenascia: “I am now off to the police academy to become an officer through the Polk County Sheriff’s Office.”
- Shakoya: “I will be attending Florida A&M University in the fall to study psychology.”
- Ta’karia: “My goal is to be accepted into Traviss Technical College for nursing or physical therapy.”
Workforce Lab is an 8-week experiential learning program that focuses young high school students on financial capability, career/education planning, soft job skills, and Jesus in all those things. Students earn stipends and a chance to match those stipends upon on-time graduation.
Summer Workforce Lab program funders have included: CareerSource Polk, GiveWell Community Foundation and its Impact Polk grant, The Libertore Fund for Children, Publix Super Markets Charities, and the State of Florida. Thank you!
Another graduate, Kandace, will be interning with us this summer!
- Kandace-Rose: “I’m going to Polk State College for nursing and over the summer I’ll be working at Parker Street Ministries.”
Parker Street Ministries (PSM) is a 501c3 nonprofit in Lakeland, Florida that follows a Gospel-centered model characterized by living, listening, affirming dignity, and building community together in and through the Parker Street neighborhood. For more than two decades, PSM’s vision has been to see a city transformed by the power of the Gospel through building champions who make possible desirable neighborhoods, lifetime learners, financial sustainability, and healthy communities for all.