Christmas Store 2020
**Covid Update** We are thrilled to continue to offer a Christmas Store for our neighborhood. What was already a transformative service to our families is now many times that during these uncertain economic times! We have new procedures and PPE in place to help make our programs a safe place to heal, love, and learn.
Neighborhood Christmas Store
Joy to the World! The LORD has come!
Bring joy and the gift of giving to this community.
Neighborhood Christmas Store is coming – pandemic or not! We are making lots of changes to make it Covid-safe. What hasn’t changed is we need about 2,800 gifts donated or funded because we are expecting a lot of shoppers this year!
Please stock the store, multiply joy, and affirm dignity in a year that has been hard on so many in our neighborhoods. The annual store will look different including how you can participate as a volunteer(sadly, there will not be a setup night with hundreds of volunteers ☹), BUT we are counting on volunteers more than ever to bring 2020 to a happy close for neighborhood parents and children!
Below are ways you can bring generosity and joy to two neighborhoods: Parker Street and North Lake Wire. Email Hannah Scruggs at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
As you choose from any of these options, spread your joy by taking pics of your family, toy drives, and more. We will try to repost photos that use the hashtag #livegenerously and #thegiftofgiving.
Shipageddon, with a potential shortfall of 7 million packages a day, is most likely going to affect package deliveries. Online shoppers, please arrange for deliveries by last week of November.
Donate Toys by Shopping Online
Have gifts delivered to 719 N. Massachusetts Avenue, Lakeland, FL 33801 by December 1. This date is different than Shopping Lakeland Local deliveries because of expected delays in shipping.
Ways to Join!
Give to Parker Street Ministries and designate to Neighborhood Christmas Store. We will use it to round out the store and stock the shelves with the latest items!
Host a Toy Drive
Virtual Toy Drive
- Plan to use your favorite platform (Zoom, Teams, GoTo, Google Hangouts, etc.)
- Send out Amazon Wishlist Link or sharable wishlist image below
- Pause your meeting and shop for toys together! Change your screen background to a Christmas theme
- Take a screenshot of your virtual shopping group and send to email@example.com
- Arrange to ship toys to Parker Street Ministries, 719 N. Massachusetts Avenue, Lakeland, FL 33801 Monday-Friday, before 12/1 delivery is best due to expected package delays
Physically Distance Toy Drive
- Reach out to friends and plan to shop together using all the COVID protocols
- Send everyone the shareable wishlist image below
- Give everyone a hit list, a budget, and rendezvous point and time!
- Photograph yourselves and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drop off toys (new and unwrapped) at our offices at 719 N. Massachusetts Avenue, Lakeland, FL 33801 Monday-Friday, by 12/7
We can also provide fun donation boxes for in-person collections!
Four ways to Volunteer with Neighborhood Christmas Store
- If you are interested in hands-on volunteering, please let us know so we can keep you updated on opportunities. (There will be limited onsite volunteering and take-home opportunities also, such as Christmas Card writing, crafts, etc.) Contact Hannah Scruggs at email@example.com
- Share about the store! (Here’s a sharable video promo!) We need new groups to fill in the gaps of our faithful groups who are unable to participate this year
- Invite Tim Mitchell to be a guest with your groups. He can Zoom into or attend your meetings in person and give a short intro to the store. Contact Hannah Scruggs at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pray for safe and smooth operations to come together and for the love and hope of Jesus to shine through our very-different 2020 store
The Store’s Story
Our holiday ministries run a little differently. There are no sponsored families, no used toys, no well-intentioned strangers appearing at the door laden with gifts and food . . . Instead, we host a fully functioning neighborhood store for several days in December. We receive brand new toys and funds to purchase toys from many individuals and groups. Toys are discounted 75% and lovingly placed on shelves. The desire is to build the dignity of parents who will have the opportunity to select and purchase new toys for their own children. The money goes right back into the store. The outcome for everyone is joy, generosity, and community!
One parent said, “It’s not like a yard sale. It’s like what you would find in a store—only with much lower prices! I feel like I can actually shop for my kids’ Christmas here.” Another first-time shopping mom said, “I love that this store is for our neighborhood—not just because I’m poor.”
Through the support of schools, churches, businesses, and individuals, PSM sets up a fully functioning store near our location just north of Downtown Lakeland for several days in December. Families living in the Parker Street and North Lake Wire neighborhoods get to register and shop for new toys.
Christmas Gift Ideas (Expand for List)
Teen bedroom accessories/decor: pillows, lamps, wall art, etc.
Teen make-up, nail polish
Teen fitness equipment
Electronic Phone Accessories: speakers, chargers, etc.
Art supplies for children & teens
Jewelry for children & teens
Electronic games for children & teens
Lotion and hair accessories for children & teens
Purses & wallets for children & teens
DVD’s for children & teens
Dolls (Black, Hispanic, Barbie, NO Bratz)
Footballs, basketballs, kickballs
Educational toys, games, & puzzles
Funds to buy bikes
Shopkins and other tiny toys
Legos of all sizes
Preschool dress-up, role playing
Christmas wrapping supplies: gift bags and bike-bags (all sizes from small to large), tape, bows, scissors, gift tags, & wrapping paper
YouTube Promo Video